Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Peace and Security in My Lifetime


One of the most tragic parts of Isaiah is the account of King Hezekiah’s illness and recovery.  Hezekiah is described as the last God-fearing king of Judah.  His reign falls a few short years before the remnant of God’s people is conquered by Babylon and carted off as slaves.  Earlier in his ministry Hezekiah stood on the walls of Jerusalem watching the Assyrians build siege works around the entire city.  Hezekiah trusted God rather than acquiesce to the demands of his pagan adversary; and God sent a heavenly army to deliver his servant. 
As an old man, Hezekiah is again approached by the emissaries of a pagan superpower.  Rather than send them packing, Hezekiah invites them in and parades the fruits of his accomplishments before them.  He’s competing in the big leagues – and feeling pretty good about himself.

Later, God sends his own emissary – Isaiah – to Hezekiah’s palace.  Like a good lawyer, Isaiah asks a question to which he already knows the answer: “Who were those men?  And what did you show them?”  Hezekiah responds, casually, “They were from a distant land.  I think they said, ‘Babylon’.  And I showed them everything.” 
Isaiah says, “That’s exactly what they’re going to take the next time they come knocking.  We aren’t like them.  You didn’t get all this because of your size or strength.  You got it because God gave it to you.  But you know what?  You want to play in their league so badly?  You will.  And you’ll lose.  Your own sons will be mutilated and enslaved by your friend, the king of Babylon.”
And here’s the kicker.  Hezekiah says,
The word of the Lord is good, because at least there will be peace and security in my lifetime

How often do we make the same calculation?  Yes, I’m ignoring this aspect of my kids’ behavior; yes, I’m mismanaging this part of my finances; yes, I’m neglecting my marriage; yes, I’m militating against this necessary change in my city or in my church…
But at least there will be peace and security in my lifetime.
To hell with the next generation.  Who cares if my peace comes at the cost of my descendants’ peace?  As long as I don’t have to give up what I want, I’m happy. 

God expects more of us.  The life God offers us comes at a cost.  Typically the cost is some of our comfort; some of our security; some of our happiness now - sometimes more; sometimes less.  God demands that we make these sacrifices in order to secure a better future – for descendants that we know and love, and for future generations that we will know only in glory. 
In Philippians, the Apostle Paul describes a king who is everything that Hezekiah failed to be:  the Messiah, Jesus, who gave up all of his peace and security to bring peace and security to the world.  Paul says,
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.  In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
 rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature of a servant…


In exchange for our own peace here and now, God offers us ultimate comfort; ultimate security; ultimate fulfillment.  Don’t settle for peace and security in your lifetime.  Militate for shalom – God’s restoration of all things for all time.    

No comments:

Post a Comment