Thursday, January 31, 2013

Because of Their Broken Spirit


Passage: Exodus 6:2-9

When the Israelites’ hardship persists in Egypt, they give up hope that God will act on their behalf.  In response, God restates his commitment to his chosen people.  God says,
I have heard the groaning of the people of Israel whom the Egyptians hold as slaves, and I have remembered my covenant. Say therefore to the people of Israel, ‘I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from slavery to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great acts of judgment. I will take you to be my people, and I will be your God, and you shall know that I am the Lord your God, who has brought you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. I will bring you into the land that I swore to give to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob. I will give it to you for a possession. I am the Lord.
Moses brings God’s message to his people.  And you’d think that would be enough.  But, we’re told:
“Moses spoke thus to the people of Israel, but they did not listen to Moses, because of their broken spirit and harsh slavery.”
They did not listen to Moses because of their broken spirit

Have you ever been in a place where your ears were closed to good news?  Where your circumstances seemed so hopeless that no amount of encouragement could get through to you?  What does it take to repair a broken spirit?  Nothing short of the miraculous intervention of God.  Israel's hopes aren’t revived until they see evidence of God’s hand at work.  I don’t think we’re much different.  We respond to others’ brokenness of spirit with trite words and promises we can't keep.  We prescribe distraction or medication when what’s needed is God’s miraculous intervention.  Our happiness isn’t God’s priority. But here’s what is: our freedom and our faith.  God is endlessly committed to setting his people free from bondage to brokenness and despair.  And God is relentless in showing us what he’s capable of.  If a broken spirit afflicts you, or someone you love, don’t punish yourself for not having the right words.  And don’t hesitate to pray for God to intervene.  God is willing to show his hand.   

I will deliver you from slavery, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm…I will take you to be my people, and I will be your God, and you shall know that I am the Lord your God.

No comments:

Post a Comment