Thursday, November 10, 2011

Why Bother?

Passage: Matthew 6:5-15

There are instances in which my Reformed Theology and Reformed practice seem to be at odds. Prayer presents many such instances. I believe that God’s plans for me and my world have been set in place since the beginning of time. I do not believe I have the power to change God’s plans or change God’s mind. And yet I persistently ask God to do stuff on my behalf – stuff I have no idea fits into his plan or not.
I’ve had conversations in which people have said, “I’ve been praying for days that my team wins the series.” I wonder if anyone on the opponents’ side is praying the same prayer. You could wonder the same about nations on one side or other of a war. I’ve heard Christians say, “God hasn’t healed you because you haven’t prayed hard enough.” Make a little more noise, and God’ll hear you.
I’ve also spoken with people who have said, “I can’t bother God with this - it's too small. I can't ask God for this - it’s too selfish.”
Are the above perspectives wrong? If so, how? And how do we know?

In order to know whether to pray, and how, it helps to understand the purpose of prayer. We tend to think that prayer is a way of getting things done. We pray to help God focus his efforts. We pray to do our part of God’s work. We pray to get what we want. When we think of prayer as a way of getting results – either for someone else or for ourselves – we get it wrong. We don’t change God’s mind when we pray. And we don’t curry extra favor from God the more regularly and passionately and eloquently we pray. When Jesus teaches about prayer, he actually says, “Less is more!” In his instruction Jesus also betrays what prayer’s really about. It’s not about results; it’s about relationship. Jesus says, “Call God ‘Father’.” He’s not your boss. He’s not the government. He’s not Santa Claus. God is one who has immeasurable compassion and regard for you. God is already listening.

And God wants what’s best – for you and your world. God knows his plans for you. Yet God welcomes a conversation. So Jesus invites us: “Whatever’s on your heart, bring it to God.” Talk to God when you need something. Talk to God when you don’t need anything. Don’t worry about the right words in the right order. There’s no magic way to get God to do what you want him to do. You don’t have that kind of power. But if you seek from God most important thing anyone can have – that is, an intimate relationship with God – he’ll grant it every time. It’s within the context of this relationship that you start to want what God wants – for you and your world. Why bother? Because God welcomes our company, and tells us that our prayers, big and small, are no bother at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment