Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Never Look a Gift Fish in the Mouth

Passage: Jonah 1

Ever wondered what Jonah thought when the fish swallowed him? Whenever I swim in a large body of water, I try not to imagine some great marine creature making its way up from the depths. Try not to think about its great jaws encompassing me; its maw engulfing me and taking me down with it. I’m not always successful.

Did Jonah, in the moment, think, “Phew, I thought I was going to drown!”? I’m guessing not. The narrator puts it like this: Now the LORD provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah…Who knew? Jaws – a gift from God.

The Book of Jonah is a great illustration of God’s providence. In Jonah’s story we see God’s hand at work in every detail, bending all things inexorably toward his will. Start to finish God has a plan for Jonah, and will stop at nothing to bring it to completion.
Does God have a plan for you? Do you think anything can derail it? Hang in there. God’s taking you on a journey, and every big fish is just another part of his transit system.

No comments:

Post a Comment