Monday, October 4, 2010

Passage: Jeremiah 1

We’re introduced to Jeremiah as the prophet who serves during the twilight years of the Kingdom of Judah. Jeremiah’s job, like Isaiah’s, is to tell his people the end is near. God commissions a reluctant Jeremiah, and gives him this assignment:
Now, I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.
God obviously knows better than Jeremiah what the prophet is in for, because he goes on to say this:
Get yourself ready! Stand up and say to them whatever I command you. Do not be terrified by them, or I will terrify you before them. Today I have made you a fortified city, an iron pillar and a bronze wall to stand against the whole land—against the kings of Judah, its officials, its priests and the people of the land. They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you…
Don’t worry, says God. Your job is going to make you a pariah to your people. And everyone you prophesy against is going to hate you. They may even attack you. But I’ll be with you every step of the way.

At which point Jeremiah is tempted to interject: “Uh, Lord? It’s encouraging to know that you’ll be with me when the angry mobs are gathering and the government operatives are sharpening their shivs. But maybe you could give me a job that doesn’t involve ticking all those people off in the first place?”

One truth that’s borne out throughout the Old Testament is that being God’s prophet puts you in the line of fire. The prophets were never particularly popular. As Jeremiah’s story continues we see the different ways God steers him directly into the cross-hairs of friends, neighbors, and kings. Thank goodness God hasn’t called us to be prophets. Oh, wait…

No comments:

Post a Comment